Sunday, April 24, 2022

I've Got a Feeling and I Can't Let Go!


                A Feeling Like No Other

 Since my husband and I left Grand Cayman in 2018 not a day's gone by that I don't think about that place—that magical place. We knew once my husband's work visa ended after nine years we would move to Florida to retire. I've heard the locals say that you never realize how special the island really is until you no longer live there. And yes, it's a lingering feeling of the sun on your face, the salty air filling up your nostrils, and the sea breeze that sends a warm shiver down your spine.

My days were spent mostly writing, lying on the beach then hopping from one Tiki Bar to the next most evenings when my husband got off work. No, I'm not an alcoholic—I don't even drink. It was sitting out by the beach and watching those beautiful sunsets every night that was the draw.

But why should I complain- I have those wonderful memories of being on a tropical island for nine years and it felt like one big holiday.    

One way to keep the memory alive was to write a fiction novel that takes place in Grand Cayman. I didn't have to search too far for content due to the many superstitions I had learned from the locals and tales from fishermen that I'd overheard. My husband is also a fisherman and is well aware of some of those legends, with most of them stemming from creatures that live in the depths of the sea.

So expanding on one of the legends was my segway into my latest novel, Night Mistress of Paradise Palms. I had to let readers feel the island vibe without having to travel there. I'm still feeling it, enough that I had to put a few pieces of myself into one of the protagonists in the story. No, I'm not Della Marquez, but she does have a few of my better qualities, or maybe I should say, she shares some of my vices. 

I'll share a most recent review for Night Mistress of Paradise Palms here with you. I hope it will entice you enough to read the book or take a trip to the island.

Review from Readers Favorite ~

Available @ Amazon in ebook and print 



No comments:

Post a Comment